Monday 7 September 2015

Monday.

We have our new chicken coop up and running now.

Its been in use for about four days and despite a few teething troubles with the gangway, the chickens love it. They have loads of space and its way more cosy than the old coop.
Happily the old coop found a new home, housing our next door neighbours guinea pigs.  :D

Trouble seems to have stopped growing now, I'm not sure if she's reached her full height yet but at seven months old she can't be too far off. She's a little bit obsessed with our chicks at the minute. We've been keeping the chicks in our small original coop during the warmer parts of the day just until they're used to/old enough to be outside. Trouble will lie next to their run all afternoon if I let her.
I've discovered that two forty minute walks per day and a day full of chicken guarding is what is called for to get her to sleep at night.

Today has been an exhausting one for me.
I've walked the dogs twice, walked into town, picked up six Kilos of chicken feed, dog flea stuff, wormer and baking essentials, (including chocolate) walked back. By God it nearly killed me.
Deep cleaned the big chicken coop ready for the lady next door to have it. Made soup with home grown patty pan (not mine- a guerilla gardeners) carrot, runner beans and shop bought squash. I cleaned out the incubator ready for some eggs that I thought would arrive today, but instead I got a call from the lady who I ordered them from saying that she was unable to get the eggs I wanted. :'( Never mind though. I'll be getting three Dutch Hamburg eggs (so cute) and three frizzled bantams instead of the two frizzled bantams, two Dutch Hamburgs, one Lemon pencilled Friesian and a Speckledy.
Now in all honesty I didn't need to have the speckledy. I wasn't that fussed about the speckledy, but I really, really wanted the Friesian. Never-mind though. I can get some when we've moved house and gained a bigger garden, or when I've got an allotment.
I prepared a slow cooker meal requested by my OH, flea'd the dogs, moved the chicks and their paraphernalia out of the house, and then in again, cleaned their paraphernalia too, and moved the big coop next door.

I will sleep well tonight.  

No comments: